Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Next Chapter

So I know I haven't posted in quite some time...but now I'm starting a new chapter and I figured I'd do my best to keep any loyal readers updated...

So where to begin.
There's a lot to recap in the past year.

I guess the main points would be that I graduated from SLU in May with my Bachelor's in Social Work.

I also began a year of service with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps last week. I've been placed in Tucson, Arizona working at the Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona as an application assistant and community educator. For now that really only means as much to me as it does to you. What I do know is that my coworkers are awesome, the food bank as an organization despite its massive size, operates much like a small non-profit (really personal, very open, laid back, etc. etc.), also I need to work on my Spanish slang. 

So what is the Jesuit Volunteer Corps (JVC) you may ask?
Well let this website tell you http://www.jesuitvolunteers.org/

I chose JVC because I wanted to take some time to figure out "me" before the real world begins. I also wanted to take a year to figure out how I can make the life I want to live which some would say is not part of the "real world" my reality. I chose JVC because simple living, community, spirituality, and social justice all play a role in my life. Some for a long time, some not so much. Some I consider to be part of my inner-self, others I'm still trying to figure out. I chose JVC because I've only ever really known the Midwest. I chose JVC because I wanted to practice my Spanish and learn about immigration 70 miles from the border. I chose JVC because some very special people in El Salvador, Chicago, and Saint Louis helped me to dream and aspire. There are a million other reasons I decided to join JVC, probably a million other reasons I don't even know yet. I have a lot of fears but more than that I have a lot of hopes for this year. 

I'm still settling in to my daily routine, trying to navigate the bus system and a bike with a flat tire. 
Still trying to survive the heat. Looking for armadillos and some wild pigs called Javalenas. 
Drinking water like it's my job...and eating more Mexican food than probably appropriate. 
The best part of JVC is that I get to experience all of these new adventures with 4 other ladies. We share a house called Casa Nacho (for Ignacio Ellacuria...but we appropriately love nachos). Maria, Alyssa, Siri, and Becca are fantastic. We've already had quite a few "JVC simple living" moments and I'm sure more will come. 

I haven't even been in Tucson a week and I can already tell it's going to be great. There's bike paths everywhere, community gardens, compost, solar panels, organizing projects and advocacy groups up the wazoo, taco stand after taco stand, beautiful mountains, gorgeous sunsets, farmers markers, mariachi band masses...you know all of the things I love. 

I could go on but I'll leave you with that.
More to come though. Stay tuned.

Paz y amor, Linsita


Mountains on mountains

A free street fest that happens the 2nd saturday of every month

The house


No comments:

Post a Comment