I think a big part of me being here in El Salvador is finding my place and being happy. Some days it is hard to find the light in the struggles and sufferings here, but this Saturday was definitely not one of those days. Every semester all of the praxis site coordinators and their families are invited to one of the praxis sites in order to get to know each other and see the kind of work that those involved in the Casa program are doing. This semester happened to be the semester to visit Tepecoyo, the home of my praxis site as well as Zacamil (the 2 sites used to be one). I was definitely tired after campo week but I was beyond excited to return to my community and see people like Angelica and Ana that I had not seen for over a week. I was expecting maybe 20 people to come on this adventure but there ended up being about 70 people from different sites as well as all of those people that live and work at La Javia and Zacamil. Words cannot describe how great this day was. I think I can say that it was my favorite day here in El Salvador so far. I wish I could express the joy, the love, and the happiness that I felt being back at La Javia and getting to share the beautiful experience with my closest friends as well as complete strangers. Saturday completely rejuvenated me; I felt so full of life as we all took the long walk to Zona 3, as I chased all of the little kids around the soccer field, as I caught up with Angelica and Ana, and as I saw the smile on Jovani’s face after returning to Zona 3 for the first time after his accident. Life is such a beautiful thing and I know sometimes I forget this but Saturday reminded me of why I am here and of what I hope to do with the rest of my life.
A small glimpse of all the people that came out on Satuday
Daisy lifting some weights
Some of my students
Angelica!
No comments:
Post a Comment